Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?

Friday, September 29, 2006

Mi Casa es Su Casa

(karen)

I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it! We made an offer on a house, and it was accepted! At last, after nine months of travelling and uncertainty we will once again be home owners. (With any luck we'll even be employed homeowners.) Steve and I have been house hunting ever since we arrived in Denver. We've spent many long nights at the computer, searching through suburban subdivisions and setting up spreadsheets to determine what we can/cannot afford. We've done virtual tours of countless homes and had fun making catty comments about the god-awful decorating styles. What we wanted was a big yard for the dogs, but a nice house for ourselves, and we didn't want to be too far from Lockheed Martin. The problem was that nice, new houses have virtually no yards and are way too huge (think Highlands Ranch). But just when all signs seemed to point to (shudder) compromise, we found "the one"! It's a lovely home in south-west Lakewood with magnificent views of the front range. It sits on .38 acres which is more than enough for our kids, Molly and Spencer. Plus it has a gas stove, so I'm set in the kitchen. What more do you need? Here are some photos of our lovely new home.

This is the view from the front. Nice curb appeal, eh? I'm so excited to have my very own porch. I'll sit out there in the late summer afternoons, whittling and yelling at kids to stay off the lawn.

Nice curb appeal

Here's the view of the house from the back yard. I know it looks humongous, but that's because the unfinished basement is a walk-out. It's really not as cavernous as it seems.

View from the back yard

We have a great deck off the family room that looks right into all the neighbor's yards. This way we can keep tabs on them while we are BBQ'ing.

We can spy on the neighbors

I saved the best for last. Isn't this view fantastic? This is what we'll get to see from the master bedroom. I can't wait for winter to come and see the hills decked out in a mantle of snow. (In case you were wondering, yes, that is a matching playhouse.)

Our very own playhouse

Sorry there are no pictures of the inside, but I think it would be prudent to wait until we move in. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with the current owners. So there you have it! Now everyone, please come visit. Especially you Aussies, I'm dying to show you to some real mountains.
:)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lovely! That back yard is especially nice (just between us, I have a feeling Matt and Christine just might feel a bit envious.)

The house looks terrific and I'm sure you're already making plans for where to put what. It will look fantabulous!

Love

12:34 PM

 
Blogger Russell said...

Congratulations! What an amazing house and what a view! Looks like there will be lots of room for us to come over and visit! :) So, is that the dog house out in the back or is that Steve's New Microbrewery? More importantly, where does the compost pile go? Dang, I think we need to get out of this Southern California housing market.

6:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice casa! When do you move in? That really means when can I come stay! I see some mountain biking trips to Colorado in my future.

7:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home