Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Weekend Warriors

(karen)
When we first showed up in Sydney we were shown a room in a house called Courtyard that seemed pleasant enough. It wasn't going to be available for a few weeks, so we instead moved into our current room in Campus House. Last thursday the Courtyard room became available and we agreed when they asked us if we'd still like to try it. So we packed up our meager belongings and made the switch to our new house up the street. Our Campus roommates were devasted to loose us, to be replaced with an unknown german couple. How can they be guaranteed that the new folks will bake banana bread for them? How?? At first glance our new quarters are working out okay. Pros: better kitchen, more cheerful atmosphere, tv in our room. Cons: One joint bathroom/shower for 8 people, there is a cafe on the other side of our wall that opens at the crack of dawn, and the light switch for the room is outside the door. Seriously, who designed this place? But we're settled in and getting to meet our new neighbors. Wouldn't you know, one is a french chef! This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Captivated by Simpsons

Spacious Kitchen Guess how many girls live here


In other news, we indulged our impulsive side and met a friend from my work down at a pub for some live music. We got to meet his friends (one of them hilariously Tolfo-esque) and had a great time. It culminated with a drunken trip to McDonalds at 2:00 in the morning, where literally every person there was staggeringly intoxicated and overly friendly. I loved it. Our surrogate Tolfo then invited us to a house warming party in Glebe the following night, which we were informed was themed "Fictional Gay Characters, Pre 1990". We didn't have the time or resources to make costumes but other people had some great ideas, everything from Inspector Gadget to Mary Poppins to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He introduced us as the "randoms I met at a pub last night", and we were immediately welcomed. This is exactly what I wanted to get out of our stay in Sydney, to make new friends and live a quasi-normal life in a new place.

On Saturday we took the ferry across the harbor to visit the Taronga Zoo. Quite a few exhibits were closed, probably because they are renovating during the off season, but we still got to see a variety of critters. We were most interested in the native animals like koalas (aka drop bears), kangaroos, wombats, dingos, and platypus. Two we really wanted to see, the echidna and Tasmanian devil, were shy and chose not to grace us with their presence. A zoo highlight were several walk through areas for birds and passive animals like wallabies. It's not every day that you have to step aside to let an emu pass!

Fresh after a 20 hour nap

Emu Roos at the Zoo


Our last excitement for the weekend was the Kings Cross Wine and Food Festival. I've been warned that Kings Cross after dark is a lurid maze of sex shops and prostitutes, but by day it is merely kinky bohemian, in a Castro District kind of way. We ended up paying a bit more than we were expecting but the food was delicious and the massive crowd was in good spirits (literally and figuratively). We sat in the sunshine, reading books, sipping wine, and nibbling on delectables ranging from Spanish chorizo to Thai spring rolls. It's making me very excited for the three day Wine and Food festival in Melbourne later next month. (Oh Christine, I wish you were here with me!)

Kings Cross Food and Wine Festival

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait....I just quit my job and I'll be right over!

love, mom

6:25 AM

 
Blogger Russell said...

What else are you to do with aging bananas? Of course I have been a little jealous about your whole 7 month trip, but now you are making banana bread for others???

Taronga Zoo. Fantastic. My favorites were the wombats. I want one.

Have you called PDS yet?

8:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys!!! Wow - so much time has passed and I am just catching up. I have just spent the past hour at work reviewing your pics and stories and am absolutley amazed! What an awesome experience! My past few months weren't nearly as fun, but I did learn spanish with Meagon - had I known how time consuming that damn class would be I would've never commited. We had a great time in Europe and I am sure you heard about Meg and Zach's engagement on the Eiffel tower. I am so excited you guys are coming to yosemite with us. I will be in Colorado at the end of June - too bad you won't be home yet. I can't wait to see you both in person!

Mindy

7:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home