Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Super 14 Smackdown

(karen)

Go Tahs!

We finally fulfilled our dreams of going to see a rugby game, and we're not talking lame Aussie Rules. This is the Super 14. It was the last home game of the season for the Sydney Waratahs. Kind of funny isn't it, that a sport of such bloodlust would chose a dainty flower for their mascot? Anyway, the Waratahs were playing their arch rival Hurricanes from Wellington, New Zealand. All across the city people were drawn by the thousands to the bright lights of Sydney Stadium. You could feel the electricity in the air. We had our faces painted just outside before finding our seats down by the field. Go Tahs go!

Our view of Sydney Stadium

Although our seats were not the greatest, most of the action stayed down at our end so we had nice views when they scored their trys (a try is like a touchdown for you Yanks).

Try scored by the Hurricanes

I wasn't entirely sure what was happening, but that's about par when it comes to me and spectator sports. I cheered every time the players hurled their muscle bound bodies over the goal line, regardless of the team. My philosophy is that if you root for both sides you'll never go home upset. I'm not sure my fellow spectators would agree with me, however. I have a feeling most of them were pretty upset that their beloved Waratahs couldn't bring their game together at the end and wound up loosing to the visiting Hurricanes by 5 points.

Crowd at Sydney Stadium The Wellingtonians go nuts

At the end of the game there was an explosion of yellow and black as hundreds of ex-pat Kiwis in the crowd stood to cheer for the victorious Hurricanes. And I cheered too, with my Waratah face paint, because I love to go home happy. It was a great night.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!! GO HURRICANES!!!! This is something I really wish I was there for with you guys. I'm glad that you went to a Super 14 match. They are spectacular. Rugby is a great spectator sport. I feel head and shoulders above Football(US), and Soccer. Did you have some pies and beer at the match? Love the painted faces! Should have been painted for the 'Canes though. Just fantastic!

7:06 AM

 
Blogger Russell said...

Dude, check out Steve-o's hair!

12:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home