Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?

Sunday, October 22, 2006

I Need a Vacation

(karen)

Ok, I know we just got back from the trip of a lifetime and we haven't yet earned any income to replace what we spent during the last year, but I've already found our next dream vacation destination! It turns out REI offers adventure trips to exotic places all over the world, like hiking the Inca Trail or biking across Croatia. The trip that caught my eye, however, is the 19-day Everest Classic, a trek through Nepal that begins in Kathmandu and journeys to the Mt. Everst base camp at 18,190 ft. elevation. It's rated at the highest level of difficulty of the trips that they offer and is insanely expensive, but apart from that it sounds perfect. Just listen to this typical day from the itinerary:

"Day 6 Leaving Namche Bazaar, our trek steps off the standard Base Camp trail for the next two days. We ascend up past the Syangboche airstrip (12,200) and down into the small hidden valley of Khumjung. Khumjung has the most important school and the only hospital in the Khumbu region … both were built by Sir Edmund Hillary. Crossing the valley we ascend through a rhododendron forest, traversing the beautiful southern slope of Khumbila, the holy mountain of the Sherpas. We should reach Moung La pass (12, 992’) and our camp in mid-afternoon. The setting is absolutely spectacular with the distinctive peak of Ama Dablam looming in the near background. Watch for impeyan pheasants, tahr mountain goats and possibly musk deer when walking through the forests. Trekking: 6 hours; Elevation: loss 400’, gain 2,100’.

I know that's got you jazzed up to hit the trail. Any takers out there who would care to tag along? Eh? Eh? Just go here to get the details. If you are feeling especially feisty, check out the other REI Adventure packages.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen

As an alternative to carrying several bottles of oxygen, and 2 weeks in intensive care, check out this site and tell me what you think http://www.distantjourneys.com/travel-self-guided/sg_tMB.html

Maybe I could get Denise excited if you were interested.

Much love

Doug (Bribane)

P.S. I assume that you now both have email addresses?

12:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope to be trekking all of NZ first after we move there. Maybe in a year or two I'll be up for it. I think that if I was already at Everest Base Camp I'd just as soon head for the summit! Maybe one day.....

6:17 AM

 
Blogger Russell said...

Okay, you're nuts.

7:24 AM

 
Blogger CK said...

I'll come with you if I can stay in Kathmandu and eat Nepalese food while you bust your ass on the trail.

11:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home