Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Family, Aussie-style

(steve)

This past weekend I played the part of long-lost cousin from across the sea. Karen and I traveled north to the Sydney suburb of Pymble, where a host of relatives awaited. Ok, so it was only one family, but given the distance and expense, I had only met my Uncle Bruce and Aunt Loida one time when I was around 4 years old, and never met her children Logan, Drew, and Anitra. We entered the house (armed with triple chocolate chip cookies) to receive a warm welcome as the long-lost (second) cousins.

Long lost Aunt Loida Drew with girlfriend Janice and her mum Jenny


As a special treat, we were whisked off to a local park for the quintessential Aussie BBQ. Here we relaxed for the afternoon telling stories, comparing accents, watching cockatoos, chasing after Anitra's kids (Dion and Tyler were non-stop entertainment), and having a general good time. Along the way, we were introduced to BBQ, Aussie-style. Together with salads and lamb, Karen and I had a taste of kangaroo sausage (kanga-bangas). The grand finale was the brewing of Aussie billie tea, complete with Drew demonstrating the proper way to stir it.

Angel face Drew stirs the billy tea


A quick bout of rain chased us back to the house, where Drew casually asked if anyone wanted a ride on his bike. Karen enthusiastically raised her hand. After borrowing some gear (from Aunt Loida's biker get-up!), she was all leathered up and ready to go. I was nervous (motorcycle + rain + crazy Sydney drivers = accident) but everything turned out all right.

Bugs in my teeth


Meeting relatives and making new friends was one goal for this trip. I'm happy to say we met a great family that we look forward to seeing again soon. I just hope I can be as good a host.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely family, Steve and I'm taking this chance to say "What? FIVE whole years you've been married!" Anyway, lots of congratulations and for many more years to come.
Love~~~ Henderson Granny

9:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home